Let's face it. Decorating your home can wind up being an expensive endeavor. When I was first furnishing my apartment, I was on a tight budget (and still am). I scoured flea markets, craigslist, and hit Ikea to get the things I needed at a decent price. The great thing about places like Ikea (and let's face it, there is no other place like it) is that if you chose carefully, no one need know that you're harboring inexpensive MDF furniture. The trick to decorating with Ikea is to choose pieces that are simple and classic, and blend them in with vintage and other unique furniture and decor. To make it easy on you, I've rounded up my favorite Ikea pieces, and will be sharing them with you throughout the coming weeks. First up is the best of Ikea storage pieces:
Malm chest - this versatile chest of drawers can be used as a dresser or nightstand, and comes in a variety of colors. I'm a fan of the peacock blue. Jazz it up by adding DIY leather drawer pulls or other hardware.
2. Sveio chest - the mid century lines and clean white hue make this dresser a stylish addition to any room.
3. Vittsjo shelf - open shelving that comes in several sizes. Check out these ikea hacks for the shelf. My favorite is the white spray paint with wood shelves.
4. Stenstorp kitchen cart - great storage for your kitchen. Keep a variety of things on these shelves like extra pots and pans, serving pieces, baking supplies, etc., and use the surface for extra cooking space.
5. Stockholm cabinet - I love the bright color of this modern cabinet; it's a great piece for a dining room or bar.
6. Fabrikor cabinet - A ready-made cabinet that echoes the structure of vintage medical cabinets makes great storage for a bathroom or kitchen.
7. Fjalkinge shelf - Another clean white classic that works just as well in a living room as it does in the kitchen.
8. Stockholm sideboard - With mid-century lines and a white and wood combo, you can't go wrong with this as a buffet or TV console.